Wednesday 7 March 2012

I Have Lived Here Since the World Began

I Have Lived Here Since the World Began: An Illustrated History of Canada's Native People (Arthur J. Ray)

I was forced to buy this book for one of my university courses (Native-White Relations in Canada) and it was definitely under-appreciated at the time. It is a thick book that I didn't crack open until I started teaching Socials 10 and was looking for more interesting sources about First Nations people in Canada.

This book is essentially a textbook of Canadian history written from a First Nations perspective. It includes fascinating quotes and oral history accounts. In particular, I found the time period from 1500-1850 enlightening because I have little information from other sources. (Not to mention, the Socials 10 textbook talks about First Nations people in the Prairies and in BC, but nothing about the East - I guess that is assumed to be history prior to 1815?)

The book also covers more recent history such as the rebellions and residential schools. I have taken some of the quotes that the book provides at the beginning of each chapter, and use them as examples of primary resources: for discussion starters or written questions.

Disclaimer: the copy pictured above and listed on amazon now says that it is "revised and expanded" since the one I have. 
An Illustrated History of Canada's Native People: I Have Lived Here Since the World Began

No comments:

Post a Comment